Friday, April 6, 2012

CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEAP...



I'm talking about the birds I made as favors for the last Bible study luncheon of the year!  It's always a big deal because we usually meet for luncheons once a month with our small group and only twice a year as an entire group.  This time it's a free-for-all, decorate however you like.  The pressure is on (even though the leaders all say don't worry about it) to make a beautiful table.  And my added goal is for it to be CHEAP.

Somehow out of our Joshua/Judges study I got a bird/birdhouse theme in my head from the verse, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord," Joshua 24:15.  I found this free pattern for birds on SPOOL, some fabric in my daughters scraps, and I was off making turquoise and gold birds!  I wanted to add the scripture on them so I ended up sewing them onto sticks from my yard, and they just came to life!  Add to that some borrowed bird cages and pretty table ware and I did it for $12.  Mission accomplished!
Side view - I added in a little more greenery after this but you can see the gold plates.
I had grown quite attached to my little birds but I loved giving them to my ladies!  I just told them not to tell me if they become dog toys...

Here's some more ideas for interesting tables from the luncheon:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you continue making these birds (hint hint: Family Homemade Gifts for Christmas :) The table was beautiful! Great job!

Alyssa said...

I always love going in there to look at the table decorations! I had no idea that table was yours! Those are some fabulous birdies!

Amy said...

What lovely tables. Precious birdies! Now, go take a rest after all that loving, hard work! Blessings!

Summer said...

You are so talented. And wonderful. Love you!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

When I was teaching SSS I always loved to sneek in and see what was done.