· 1/3 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1 3/4 cups whole milk, divided
· 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
· 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao), finely chopped
· 1 tablespoon dark rum
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt to blend in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually add 1/3 cup milk, whisking until smooth paste forms. Whisk in remaining milk, then 1/4 cup cream. Using flat-bottom wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, stir mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping bottom and sides of pan until pudding thickens and begins to bubble at edges, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate; stir until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in rum and vanilla.
I did not use any whipping cream or rum in this recipe, and it turned out fine. For the 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, I actually used a couple of plain Hershey bars that we had on hand. I also added a spoonful of espresso powder to give it a darker flavor. Can be poured into a baked crust. Refrigerate. .
Made 4 pudding cup servings or perhaps one small pie.