Monday, December 5, 2011

SWEETS AND SERVICE...

At our congregation we tried a new women's activity we called "Sweets & Service."  It was a Christmas brunch/craft/service project.  We decided we wanted it to benefit a local nursing home.  I racked my brain to come up with a way to keep 140 ladies busy for 90 minutes!  The organization and all the materials needed were frying my brain.  With a lot of prayer and some help from my good friend and we pulled it off!  Had a lot of help from our women's committee members as well.  
We had tables for crafts, gift bag decorators, card signing, bag filling, and ziplocing cookies - lot of jobs to be done!
The assembly line of goodies to go into the gift bags!
Lots of Moms and daughters came - loved that!
Sweet ladies signing home-made cards!
Our craft -  doorknob hangers!  They were all unique!
About 25 of us were able to deliver the gifts to the nursing home.  We sang a few songs, handed out gifts, and put the doorknob decorations on their doors.  It was a good thing to do for people who seem forgotten by our culture. 

Jesus was always reaching out to the forgotten ones.  I hope the spirit of Christmas giving touches your heart and you are able to do something similar this season!

"It is more blessed to give than to receive."  Acts 20:35

5 comments:

Gena said...

I agree about the elderly being a forgotten culture. As soon as I have a free afternoon with the kids, I'm taking them to a nursing home with our violins. They will either stay and smile sweetly or run for the hills. Love your craft!

Lori said...

It turned out great! I knew it would, and I'm sure it was such a blessing for the residents and all who participated.

Michelle said...

Those are super cute!!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

We would have come to that if we weren't cheering Alyx on at her swim meet! What a great thing to do!

Amy said...

Oh, how wonderful!! You did a great job!