Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DONATIONS FOR DISASTERS: LESSONS LEARNED FROM MAY 3, 1999

Hello to all my blog buddies.  I woke up this morning and the weight of the disaster is on me and I'm 20 minutes away from it.  Wow, does OK need your prayers!  I'm probably not going to tell you anything new but I just feel the need to say something today and it's the only way I know to say:

HELP!!!

The tornado in Moore, OK was one of the biggest tornadoes ever.  Lives were lost, hundreds are now without homes and there is such tremendous property damage.  Cousins of mine that live down there are okay.  I am getting ready to go to work to help through my Disaster Relief team at church doing whatever we can do today.  

I actually went and worked at the Oakcrest Church of Christ in Moore, OK when we had the last big tornado there on May 3, 1999. This is what I saw and what I learned:  I saw a whole classroom full of stuffed animals.  Not new.  Clothing spread all over the auditorium, much of it without identifiable tags.  People trying to sort the various items by article, size, and gender.  Laundry baskets of dirty shoes.  It was not a pretty sight.  That place smelled to high heaven!  It was embarrassing, folks.  Don't take this opportunity to clean out your closets and old stuff!!!

Gift cards to Walmart, Target, Kohl's, Walgreens, and CVS are the best thing you can do besides making a monetary donation.  This was confirmed last night by a woman in our own congregation whose husband is our new Disaster Relief Coordinator.  They lost their home in Cashion to a tornado just two years ago.  She said, "People mean well, but it is really hard to get sizes right" (they have four children).  Please pray for Joe, our new DR Coordinator as he tackles this incredible task.  He has personal experience and contacts in the community so we can get started being the hands and feet of Jesus today.  

Here's a link to our church if you would like to help:  http://www.mrcc.org


1 comment:

Summer Lashley said...

Great advice! I remember when the Crawfords lost everything and some of the disgusting, stained clothing that was brought in was just embarrassing. If you don't want it, why would they?