Monday, August 20, 2012

TIME CAPSULE BIRTHDAY...

Unbelievable...I have a 21 year old son, now!  On his first birthday I requested notes or mementos from family members, to be put in a time capsule, to be opened 20 years later.  The time has finally come for my son! We had a little party and we all enjoyed reminiscing.
21 collage, courtesy of Pinterest
Some of the goodies in it:

 Magic Johnson cup from McDonald's - apparently selling for $12 on Ebay now!
                   A hand-made card from cousins and a space shuttle postcard

My Grandmother Flora, who couldn't be here (she's in the hospital) gave him this bow tie that his Great Grandpa used to wear when he performed weddings.  She also gave him his cuff links and tie tack.
 Several sweet letters of encouragement and/or stories of items given

                                                 Mementos from my Dad
 A miniature hammer and nails, along with a story from his Great Grandmother Amy Trent about a real hammer her father ordered long ago, then she foiled and framed in the 1970's.  I think she wanted to give him the real one but didn't know exactly where it was stored at the time, but the story was neat!
                   Sermon book by his Great Grandad and artwork from a cousin

 An antique metal train I had given him that had been given to me by a great uncle.
 He received 2 pocketknives, both with interesting stories from his grandparents.


Another interesting thing to me was the letters my husband and I had written to him.  I was 28 years old, my husband 32.  I felt like the advice we both had given to him about what's important in life, God, and others was sound and maybe more mature than I would have thought I was at that age.  It reminds me that there are a lot of young parents out there in their 20's that probably really have it going on, spiritually speaking.  Of course I understand so much more now, but I think sometimes I judge younger generations too harshly.    Good lesson for me!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure it was a great time! So exciting for W and all of you, too! Sorry we had to miss it.

Amy said...

Wow. That was such a brilliant idea. What a blessing to have thought to make that box of memories for him. Loved it.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Very cool. Happy birthday Weston!

Chellie said...

What a cool idea!!
I really want to do this for Brixton now -- he's not one, but almost three -- it could still work.