Tuesday, August 28, 2012

BECAUSE I'M THE FAMILY JOURNALIST...

I got to be in charge of the powerpoint at Grandma's funeral.  I probably spent 10 hours wading through pictures at my aunt's house and on my computer, scanning, editing and making checklists to make sure anyone close to Grandma had their picture with her on powerpoint!  Plus I'm a firm believer after doing a few of these things that they shouldn't be more than 50 pics/5 minutes long, so you don't lose interest.  It's not an easy job!  But it's a sweet job, where you discover pictures you've never seen before and hear stories from long ago.

I had  to share a few of my favorites with you:
This one was made in 1935, while she was living with her sister and her brother-in-law in Tipton.  She was dating Raymond Bryan, and he wanted her to get her picture made and said he would pay for it.  So she borrowed the dress from a neighbor and went to a studio in Frederick to have it done.


Love this one - kinda glamourous looking of her - and my daughter thinks Grandpa looks like Tom Hanks! 

1950's - This is a neat one because of the items in the background, but my uncle, the little cowboy is pretty cute too!  The clock is a family heirloom and the picture on the mantel is of their daughter Myrna Rae, who died at age 7 after heart surgery at the Mayo Clinic.  So this picture is their whole family at the time, including Myrna Rae on the mantel.

                                                  1970's - I am lovin that flower print!

1992 - Wearing the t-shirt I painted for her with baby handprints of her great grandchildren!  They are wearing matching jumpsuits and socks from Hanna Anderson, which cost me an arm and a leg at the time.

Playing in the creek at age 85!  So great.

Pic of her sister Goldie, 99, and Grandma, on her 95th birthday last year!  Goldie made it to the funeral.

Thanks for going down memory lane with me today. Blessings to you and your family as you make memories!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

If I live that long I hope I'm that active. I bet it was nice to relive the fun moments with her. Sounds like she had such a full life!

Unknown said...

So special! Thanks for sharing! Isn't the Tipton connection neat?? :) Who would have thought! I had forgotten that.

Alyssa said...

Super sweet and special

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I agree Grandpa looks like Tom Hanks.