Monday, August 6, 2012

MY IDEA OF KEEPING COOL...


is staying indoors with a good book!  Here's what I've been reading lately:

Non-fiction account of the excavation of the Steamboat Arabia - I visited the museum in KC earlier this summer and was captivated by it!
Fictionalized story based on real events approx. 100 years ago - I wanted to read this one because my in-laws know the Abernathys in southwest OK.  It would be fun to read aloud to younger kids wanting to know how it was in the old west.  A little education in there too - I learned how the term "got gypped" originated! An easy, quick read.
Wow, I couldn't hardly put this one down.  What every parent fears - having to sit through a trial with your own son.  You really feel like you are inside the father's head on this one.
Has to be my favorite of the group.  Lovely historical fiction.  You bounce back and forth between the generations to solve the family mystery.  A big thick one that will take you a while.

Although I do love to read and have only gotten back into reading for pleasure the last few years, I still feel the familiar feeling since it is now the end of the summer again.  Happens every time - it's reading that is entertaining but I need something meaningful again - Bible study.  I have found that I can't really be focused on my Bible study while reading other books.  So I just don't do it during the school year Bible study.  I'm thankful to God for that hole in my heart that says "SO WHAT?" to these.

3 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

My husband thought I should edit that last paragraph because it was confusing - sorry!

I only read for pleasure during the summer because during the school year I am involved in Bible study. I can't keep focused on my study if I read lots of other things.
I continue to do daily devotions all the time. Capiche?

My husband doesn't want you to think badly of me :)

OK Chick said...

I've heard of The Forgotten Garden. I might have to check it out sometime. I'm always looking for good books.

The Lady in Pred said...

Loved The Forgotton Garden--have read several by that author. Maybe you could pace yourself during the school year--one book a month? I admire your commitment to your Bible study--first things first! But there are some great books out there!

Sherry