Tuesday, July 17, 2012

LATIN AMERICA VISION...

A few weeks back I was asked to help with a Missions Sunday project at our church.  It had been planned for many months, but someone else had been unable to complete this so they asked me... they know I can't say no!  Since my big project for the summer (TREK) was over, I was ready to work.  I did a lot of things at the last minute, but thankfully, it came together without too much stress.

Our minister had a vision for this 10th Missions Sunday!  He not only wanted the members to give sacrificially but to really connect with the different missions we support, to get to know the countries.  He came up with this idea for a World's Fair type thing in which we would recreate the different countries where we support mission efforts.  It turned out beautifully and as a congregation we gave $724,000.00!

Here's how I transformed Fellowship Central (our old auditorium) into Latin America:

The first thing I did on this wooden wall didn't show up at all.  So I had my sweet husband risk his life to get these borrowed Latin American rugs hung.  The rugs were gorgeous!
Then on an even higher ladder, I had him hang paper mountains - He called it "my impossible dream" but I had to tell these guys more than once I wanted mountains.  They wanted me to compromise on the height but I told them it was my VISION for Latin America!  All the countries surrounded by mountains. They had to go up high or they wouldn't be noticed.  I don't think I was their favorite person that morning.  But, I think it made the room complete.

It looks like mountains, right?  :)  Well it was the best we could do and about all I could get my crew to do after hanging all that cardboard over the brick walls (this was just one of the walls).
Some scenes from Sunday:

Take my life and let it be
All for you and for your glory
Take my life and let it be yours
Glory to God
Glory to God
Glory to God, Forever!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I thought the room looked fantastic, great job!

Unknown said...

Love this! What a great thing for everyone to feel more connected with the purpose for the mission! Good job :).

Summer said...

LOVED IT! As always, it was the greatest blessing of my year.

Amy said...

Wow! Such hard work. YOu guys did great!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I noticed the mountains. Your vision was great.

Yes, sometimes you have to tell people what YOUR vision looks like. I had to do that too.