Thursday, May 8, 2014

LITTLE TASTE OF HEAVEN...

 The spring Vocal Music concert is always special - the kids perform their contest pieces and showcase so much of what they've been working on all school year.  The performance just lifts me up...But this one was even more special because one of their teachers is retiring after 16 years at our school.  She's loved by everyone. She teaches the 9-10th grade girls choirs but also plays piano and helps with all the classes.  She claimed to have a "tough" side, but of course I've never seen it!  It was obvious how much everyone loved her the other night - she was given standing ovations and a group of girls sang, "Because I knew you...", she was given gifts and it was just delightful.  (I think her secret is that she knows PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THINGS) Every time I've been around her, she is encouraging and takes time to talk to me - and not just about my kids.  She's just lovely.

Look at the girls smiling with her...

It was my son's last time to perform with ACT II - 
this was a little hip bump - funny!

 The Men's Choir performing with the student teacher - 
my boy up there singing some great
African stuff!

Mr. S
Tearful speech
 "Because I knew you, I have been changed for good"

Senior boys hugging each other before their name is called!





I didn't even cry...was afraid I might.  For the last song, they always sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and invite choir alumni on stage to sing it with them.  It's always so neat to see the graduated kids coming on stage and buddying up with their undergrad friends!  So my boys were both up there together, having a great time.  Probably the last time ever for that...but I'm not going there! 

So thankful for awesome teachers like her, 
and so many others through the years! 

3 comments:

Summer Lashley said...

Love this. I have dreams of Mia being in Act II some day.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I hope so too! Such a fun group of talented kids who are the leaders of the performing arts department!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

If you didn't cry you did better than I did. I had a couple tears the retirement song.