I have always loved Advent calendars since I was a child. In fact, I found this German one hidden away in some memorabilia from my childhood, from my aunt who was living in Germany at the time with her military husband. I just love it that it is still in the original envelope! (I'm weird that way)
But we have had a few through the years with the kids and I've kept this one from Starbucks. It's made of pretty heavy cardboard, so it's ready to be re-done! Instead of treats, I scoured the internet for suggestions of devotions or random acts of kindness that might work for me and my family. (BTW, I guess you know I can't make 18 and 23 year olds do anything but I'm letting them know what it is and maybe it'll spark some little piece of their heart during the season)
1. Leave a $5 bill with a Merry Christmas note on a random car, under the wiper blade.
2. Write love notes and put them under everyone's pillow.
3. Try a new recipe for Christmas candy.
4. Look through your Facebook friend list and send a message to someone you haven't spoken to in a long time.
5. Pick up trash on your street.
6. Learn a new card game for 2 players - use Google.
7. Pay for someone else's tab in a drive-thru.
8. Play Christmas songs on the piano.
9. Make Nutter Butter snowmen - see Pinterest.
10. Go see Christmas lights!
11. Read your favorite Christmas story again.
12. Walk around the neighborhood, praying blessings for each home.
13. Make a treat for the birds!
14. Give a compliment to those you live with.
15. Go to Unveiled wife.com and choose an inspirational article to read.
16. Send a note or gift card to encourage someone and sign it "anonymous."
17. Order in Chinese food and watch "The Christmas Story."
18. Put on your favorite Christmas music and dance.
19. Candy cane bomb someone!
20. Write a note to encourage a minister.
21. Tape change to the machine at the car wash.
22. Get out your Christmas pictures and reminisce.
23. Lay down on the floor and laugh (stress relief needed about now)
24. Pray for all those special people you've received cards from this year.