Thursday, September 27, 2012

GRANNY CRAFT...

No offense to the grandmas out there, but this is one of those things you would probably pass by at the Little Old Ladies craft show.  But it is also EXTREMELY USEFUL.  When you want to give something to a sick person to encourage them, it's one of the best gifts you can give.

Do you know what it is???



It's a greeting card holder!


I first made one seven years ago when my husband was injured and receiving lots of get well cards.  My mother-in-law told me about it and so I decided to try to make one.   I think she told me that they used to make them with coffee cans.  I didn't have any of those, so I tried it with an oatmeal canister.  Works great, you just have to put the first few cards on opposite sides so it won't tip over.

 You can probably figure out how to make it yourself, but here's some directions anyway:  Open both ends of your cylinder.  Put a loop of yard around it and tie it off, making sure the knot is hidden inside.  Then wind it around and around until you have covered the entire thing, and tie it off again.  Make it as tight as you can because you can see on the brown one, the yarn will loosen as the weight of the cards increases.

The funnest thing is giving these to your friend and letting them try to figure out what it is.  I gave one to an elder the other night and he thought maybe I was giving him a cat scratcher!!!

P.S.  This one will keep your kids busy for a LONG time!

2 comments:

OK Chick said...

What a useful thing. Also, very easy to make...which is huge for me. I'm not much of a craft person. HA!

Unknown said...

I remember seeing those years ago! It is good for the abundance of get well cards!