Saturday, May 26, 2012

TRAINING DAY...

We are about 3 weeks away from taking a small group of kids from our youth group on a Wilderness Trek in Colorado!  So it's time to get prepared!  I've got to start drinking more water and adding a weighted backpack to my exercise regimen.  And drink beet juice (see previous post)!

A sweet friend of mine who lives and breathes mountain adventures has been bugging me to train down at the Wichita Mountains with her, so I finally did it yesterday!  Not that I haven't been there before, but it's been a few years...

I decided I DO need to use a walking pole or whatever they're called.  A cotton t-shirt is not the best option in this hot sweaty weather, and a Camelbak is probably better for me for drinking.  For some reason I have had an aversion to the whole Camelbak thing, probably because you have to put that whole mouthpiece in your mouth.  And I've cleaned out my husband's moldy one.  But I was fumbling a lot getting my backpack off and pulling the water bottle out.  So this little adventure helped a lot.

My daughter laughed at me too, because nature just inspires me to "OOH" and "AHH!"  I really need a better camera, but here's some nature for you to  ooh and ahhh over:


Whoa - this guy greeted us as we were driving in to the parking area...
Ooh...blooming cactus
Wildflower beauties
Ahh....gorgeous!
  And finally - my daughter's pose for the camera - she calls me the paparazzi!

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful place. Good luck training for the hike. Sounds like lots of fun.

Michelle said...

oh someday she'll be glad you documented everything so well, I'm trying to be better, but sometimes I find it hard to pull out my camera....probably cause I want the shot to be perfect, instead of just capturing the moment.

Lori said...

Sounds like this small "trek" was a great pre-BIG trek event! The pictures are beautiful! Good to see you after your adventure :).