Tuesday, May 22, 2012

HOW TO GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES...

Give thanks in all circumstances; 
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
I Thessalonians 5:18

This scripture is part of my devotion time today.  It comes the day after my sweet FIL, Charlie was diagnosed with a tumor behind his right eye.  They took him to the hospital the other night, noticing weakness in his left side.  We were all thinking mild stroke.  His health has been declining the last couple of years, due to treatment for prostate cancer.  But his mind is still pretty good;he loves his old western movies and playing dominoes.  Anyway, the symptoms are the effects of a tumor, that looks to be inoperable.
(My sweet in-laws, a few years ago, being honored at their 50th Anniversary trip in a wedding skit!)

So, giving thanks...how do we do that?  Right before that, in verse 17, it says, "pray continually."  If I am praying continually, then the thanks will come.  I am confident that if I am connecting with the Lord of Life, I will be able to give thanks in ALL circumstances.

Actually, there are so many reasons to give thanks:  I give thanks for a clear diagnosis.  No wondering for days and days just what the problem is, getting frustrated with the doctors.  I can give thanks because he's a man who has shown his family and many others how to live and preach the Word.  I can give thanks because there are numerous relatives nearby to help my MIL during this time.  Yes, it's easy for me to give thanks, BUT I'm not his wife.  I'm not there every day dealing with all the ugliness serious illness brings.

So I'm giving thanks today and praying for those that are sick AND their caregivers.  Help them to see through the ugliness and give thanks.

2 comments:

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I'm sorry for the hurt your family is going through with your FIL. I appreciate you sharing such a positive attitude.

Unknown said...

Great thoughts!