Thursday, February 16, 2012

OUCH...

How do you handle hurt feelings?  Do you just take it in disbelief?  That's me, most of the time.  Do you lash out in anger? Being a parent means you hurt if someone hurts your child.  Only you don't find out about it so much when they're teens.  This isn't the most positive post but to be true to my theme I decided to do it.  'Cause parenting isn't pretty all the time.  To top it off, this happened on Valentine's Day!  C'mon, people, where's the love?  My Valentine's Day was going along just fine until 10 a.m.  Yep, it didn't take long for me to come back to reality.

For one, I discovered we had been EGGED.  I think it happened a couple of days earlier, we just didn't know it because of the snow.  I walked outside and started wondering what that white stuff was on the ground...and it was...eggshells.  Then I looked up to see that it was on the house in several areas.  On the driveway, on my son's treehouse.

Maddening!  I texted my son at school, to which he replied, "I'll find out and get 'em!" to which I replied, "No."  Then, in the mail we got NOT valentines but, well, let's call it a complaint letter.  Anonymous.  The person didn't have the courage to sign it.  Or talk to us about it.  It was a complaint about the way my son led singing in the junior high class Sunday morning.  Apparently he was too enthusiastic.  Made their child feel forced to clap.  Well, that hit me like a ton of bricks.  My husband and I were both disappointed and so was the youth minister that it was handled that way.  Was it a joke or real?  We'll never know.

I have to admit I'm a little out of practice overcoming hurt feelings!   It just doesn't happen that much anymore!  But after the initial shock, my experience tells me I can wallow in self-pity over the eggy mess and the hurt mail (how's that for a new phrase?) or choose to look past it.  I reminded myself how this is nothing in comparison to the abuse Christ suffered.  That puts it all in perspective.

So how do I handle hurt feelings?  It's just something that gets me a little bit closer to Christ.  :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh wow, the eggs I'm sure was just a prank, but that letter would've bothered me too. Some people just don't realize how amazingly lucky they are to have their kids in such a great program at MRCC. I feel like clapping is a personal choice, honestly used to bother me more then it does now, but maybe in the long run it'll be good for their son, make his own personal journey.

Unknown said...

Even though the eggs are a mess and not nice at all, I too think that's just kids thinking it's fun. (They need to stop, because it's not just "fun". Maybe their parents will find out and they have to come clean it up!)

But the letter really bothers me because it's just wrong to send it anonymously and not sign it. I understand that they might have felt uncomfortable, but if so, that certainly wasn't the way to handle it. It certainly wasn't the Biblical way. I pray this situation is addressed further by the YM or others.

Unknown said...

I didn't mean to repeat myself "anonymously and not sign it". That's the same thing! I meant to say Anonymously and not talk to you or at least talk to the YM. Sorry!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I'm really sorry about the letter. It's sad that they couldn't sign it or handle it a different way all together. You should be proud that your son can lead singing. A lot of boys won't do that at all.

Alyssa said...

So sorry and mad on your behalf. I know that's not what you wanted from your post, but really, I'm still mad for you. More about the letter than the eggs. But the eggs are not fun either. Good post. I hope I can be that mature when it's my turn to deal with this.