Thursday, October 27, 2011

WHEN GOD WAS THERE...

Just a little question for you - can you think of that time?  I was recently asked to give a 3 minute testimony (yeah, right!) when we were learning about Jehovah Shammah, God is there.  Here's what I shared.  Many of you probably have heard part of this, but it's been a while since I reflected on it and thanked God that I've had my husband for 6 more years.

Imagine you are away from home, in a hospital cafeteria.  It's a Sunday morning, and the place is deserted.  The last 20 hours have been a blur:
  • A phone call that your husband had been crushed by a tree doing hurricane relief work.
  • Packing a bag in minutes.
  • Leaving the 3 kids and jumping on an airplane.
  • Getting to the hospital and seeing a frazzled friend who had been in and out of ambulances and helicopters with your husband.
  • Giving approval for 2 emergency surgeries.
  • Hearing the doctor say he "took care of everything that was going to kill him in an hour."
  • Taking catnaps on a waiting room floor.
  • Seeing your husband in ICU, wondering if he would recover.

That was me 6 years ago.  It was time for a shift change and I was told I couldn't go into the ICU for a while so I went downstairs to the cafeteria, thinking my morning routine of tea and reading the news would bring me comfort.  I had brought my new "Message" Bible with me.  Not really able to focus, I turned to Psalm 23 and read the familiar words.  I continued to flip the pages, then something caught my eye and I read Psalm 29.  Here's what I read:

 1-2 Bravo, God, bravo! Gods and all angels shout, "Encore!" 
   In awe before the glory, 
      in awe before God's visible power. 
   Stand at attention! 
      Dress your best to honor him! 

 3 God thunders across the waters, 
   Brilliant, his voice and his face, streaming brightness— 
   God, across the flood waters. 

 4 God's thunder tympanic, 
   God's thunder symphonic. 

 5 God's thunder smashes cedars, 
   God topples the northern cedars. 

 6 The mountain ranges skip like spring colts, 
   The high ridges jump like wild kid goats. 

 7-8 God's thunder spits fire. 
   God thunders, the wilderness quakes; 
   He makes the desert of Kadesh shake. 

 9 God's thunder sets the oak trees dancing 
   A wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. 
   We fall to our knees—we call out, "Glory!" 

 10 Above the floodwaters is God's throne 
      from which his power flows, 
      from which he rules the world. 

 11 God makes his people strong. 
   God gives his people peace.

I was amazed!  This chapter talks about storms.  It talks about trees!  But that last verse, the one that doesn't seem to fit, was what I loved most.

                    God makes his people strong; God gives his people peace.

It was for me!  It was for my husband.  I felt at that moment God was there, and that message was for us.  Spend some time contemplating "God moments" in your life.  And share them.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I have to say I remember that day, I was staying with the Wedel girls and Jessie ran out crying, she was a mess. So I calmed her down and we were prepped to take your kids if need be. But of course someone else had it all taken care of. It is amazing that God is always there, sometimes I feel like it's sad we don't see it always when we should. On a different note, yes my hair is long, I always have it up so I didn't even realize.

Lori said...

You did a wonderful job last night sharing an important moment in your life in a very short amount of time! I can't believe it's been six years. Wow. Neat how God gave you that chapter and verse. He was definitely there for you.

Amy said...

Wow. This made me cry. So thankful God brought all of you through that. Thankful also that He comforted you in the way He did. Thank you for this story! Amy

Elizabeth Mullins said...

What a great story of God's greatness you have to share! I remember when all of this happened. Papaw was with them on that mission trip. I remember praying for you all. I never cease to be amazed when I open up God's word...I feel like I read exactly what I need to hear in those very moments!

Mark Brewer said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Alyssa said...

I remember that day too (although I missed your talk and I'm sad about that). You two are such good examples of persevering - wow! That stitches picture is scary.