Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A DOSE OF HEALTHY GUILT...


Be still and know that I am God…
Psalm 46:10


That's what is running through my head...due to my lack of concentration, forgetfulness, WHATEVER that I learned about in THIS book, I got myself in a bit of a pickle this week. I should know better.  I've been down this road before.  Had to pull over, and do a little self-discipline!  Yesterday I went to a great woman's program for 4 hours, came home to start the laundry and try to figure out what was wrong with the trash compactor, only to have washing machine problems too.  Realized I couldn't take my son to the dentist because 45 minutes later I needed to be doing my volunteer job at the high school!  Well, he's a driver now, so no worries, but I still felt GUILTY not being with my kid at the dentist.  Ran to Walmart to pick up a few things for the high school gig, picked up a prescription, and made it to the highschool.  This is my volunteer job 3 x year as the Mom in charge of production meals for the performing arts kids.  I dearly love them and my kids have been in many of the shows so it's my way of giving back.  Anyway, got the 50 kids fed, then immediately went over to another dinner where a blog buddy of mine was speaking!  I snuck in the back door and the first words I hear are about cleavage.  You know you missed a fun time!  I get home ready to relax to which my husband says, "Are you about ready to go to the concert?"  OH, YEAH.  I knew my youngest was singing with the Men's Chorus (just one song) but had just dismissed it, thinking we wouldn't go this time.  It's not like they were the main attraction, but we have just NEVER MISSED ONE OF OUR KIDS PERFORMANCES.  Not that I can ever remember, at least.  So on we go to the 6th grade music festival, where they also feature a group from each highschool, to show the 6th graders and parents what they have to look forward to.  Finally, I get home.  Today it started all over again as I took my mother for outpatient surgery and put the lasagnas on time bake and got mother home just in time to take the lasagnas up there for the play meal (In my defense, she just told me about this 8 days ago and I totally forgot it would conflict with play meals!).

Yes, I need a healthy dose of guilt right now.  At the women's program, one of the sessions was about being accepted by God.  The speaker discussed healthy guilt and unhealthy guilt.  Basically, healthy guilt is comparing yourself with Jesus.  Unhealthy guilt is comparing yourself with others.  I think the healthy guilt I'm feeling is telling me to slow down and don't do so many THINGS!  Maybe the unhealthy guilt I'm feeling is trying to be WONDERWOMAN.

So I'm kinda crazy right now.  Just thought I'd let you in on it.  Reminds me of every day when my kids were in elementary and middle school.  :)

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

My Monday was similar, just packed with different activities. Sometimes I have my busyness under control and other times it takes over.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Wow. Now I'm really tired.