Sunday, June 5, 2011

THE BEST 6 DAYS OF MY LIFE IN A L-O-N-G TIME...









was spent last week with the 9/10th graders from our church on a mission trip to Albuquerque. Not only were they tireless workers, we had fun together and the nightly devos were pretty incredible. One of the highlights of the trip for everyone, I think, was Friday night when our meeting room in the hotel was NOT AVAILABLE to us for the devo. Our youth minister found out a family was using it because someone in their family had been accidentally electrocuted and was at the hospital (they were from out of town). We moved our devo out to the parking lot and then our YM felt the spirit leading him to do something for this family. He talked to them and then asked all 60 of us to come into the meeting room to sing, pray and encourage this tearful family. It was an incredible experience and many tears were shed. We then finished our devo in the lobby and the kids wanted to do more so they all gave and last I knew, $507 was collected to give to the family. I ended up at Walmart at midnight buying a couple of cards so the kids could sign them and put the $ inside. This act taught our kids more than any sermon ever could. I am so thankful I was able to be a part of this week of service and for our incredible youth ministers!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an awesome post! I love that the "mission" work ended up being more of a mission than could every have been expected! What a blessing you all were to that family!

Summer said...

Wow. That is an amazing story. I love our mrcc kids!

Gena said...

That story gave me chills. What an amazing way to serve that family. I wish I could have seen their reaction and the tears on the kids' faces.

OK Chick said...

Our church has some pretty great kids in the youth group. I feel very blessed to have met/taught some of them last semester.
Thanks for sharing the story.

Melody said...

What a great group of kids!