Thursday, March 29, 2012

BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE...


Helping kids with homework has never really been at the top of my list of ways to spend my time, but more and more, it's precious.  And I almost always learn something myself.  Something about my child or maybe just some random fact I hadn't heard before.  My son was needing some help in English with analyzing a paper.  He let his teacher choose one for him, and he ended up with "Washington's First Inaugural Address."

Piece of cake?  Well, let me assure you it was NOT.  George Washington spoke a different language than we do!  Check it out:
"On the one hand, I was summoned by my country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love, from a retreat which I had chosen with the fondest predilection, and, in my flattering hopes, with an immutable decision, as the asylum of my declining years—a retreat which was rendered every day more necessary as well as more dear to me by the addition of habit to inclination, and of frequent interruptions in my health to the gradual waste committed on it by time."  
Huh?  This assignment is going to require a little more effort than he thought!  It was a very eloquent address filled with what I would call "flowery Olde English" language.
But what I LOVED about it was that George Washington mentioned God several times in his address to the nation.  He used beautiful language in describing God.  He refers to him in these ways:

Almighty Being who rules over the Universe 
Great Author
Invisible Hand
smiles of Heaven
Parent of the Human Race
If I were to write an address to anyone, how would I describe God?  What does He mean to me personally?  Just something to think about today...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very beautiful!

Alyssa said...

And some historians (and other people too) say that the Founding Fathers were not religious! I think not.

Michelle said...

I'm sure today's politicians could learn a lot from our "founding fathers"

Chellie said...

Wow! That is tough english and awesome that he mentioned God so much.

Gena said...

I agree Alyssa! This paints an entirely different portrait of our Founding Fathers. That is beautiful.