Tuesday, September 27, 2011

STARSTRUCK...



A really fun thing happened the other day.  I was shopping in Hancock's Fabric store and my favorite designer from HGTV's Design Star was also shopping  there!  I don't watch much TV, but when I found out Kellie from my home town had made it to the show, I faithfully followed her on the series through the summer.  She made it to the top four contestants and was eliminated then.  But I loved almost everything she did and the way she conducted herself on the show!

So I recognized her immediately but decided I wouldn't be one of those crazy fans.  Just let her do her business and get out.  Then I heard someone else talking to her about another design show.  I got my fabric cut and headed for the checkout.  Here she came, I guess she didn't find what she needed and was heading out the door.  I couldn't help myself, I had to talk to her!  I told her how much I admired her on the show, and she was really sweet.  We had an actual conversation!  About who should have won (Karl) and theorized why Meg did win, what the show's producers really wanted, then I commented on how tiny she was, etc.  I was pumped for the rest of the day!  Kellie, who had rubbed elbows with Vern and Genevieve and Candace had talked to me!

Fastforward 24 hours.  I'm doing Bible study and reading about a woman hero in Joshua, named Rahab.  Yes, Rahab the prostitute.  Poor girl, that description follows her around.  What an interesting story she had!  But you know God must have forgiven her for her past because he allowed her to be saved during the destruction of Jericho!  She and her family were integrated into the Israelites.  All because she had heard of the God of the Israelites and his mighty acts and feared Him.  She had great faith and put her life on the line for it.  She ended up being the great, great grandmother of King David!  Now there's someone to admire!

So I just started to wonder, how well do we know our Bible heroes?  Do we really know their stories like we do celebrities in this day and age?  Do we look forward to meeting them?  Does it put a smile on your face to  imagine turning around and there's Rahab - wow!  Or Mary!  How about Esther?  Will we chat with them in Heaven?  I hope so!!!

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

Esther - my hero - for such a time as this. I keep saying that over and over to myself.

OK Chick said...

Good post. I can't wait to talk with Esther.

Unknown said...

Good thoughts....Rahab had a story and sometimes we only think of her "first" one. When we studied the women of the Bible in ladies' class (for 2 1/2 years!) we looked at all ladies...even those who didn't seem to have a story, but were just mentioned. I was so interesting.

Catherine said...

My cousin and I are trying to do an online study together (she's in CO, and kind of isolated) about the women of the Bible. Sounds much like what Lori described. Anyway... yeah. I've thought of all kinds of characters I'd like to meet. Male/ female. Good/ bad. Mostly I'd like to meet heroes (Ruth, Mary and Martha, Mary Magdalene, the little possessed slave girl shouting the truth, Esther... so many!) But there's also a lot to learn from the Jezebels. Good post!

Amy said...

I love that thought. Thank you. How fun to see her too.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Very cool to see a local celeb.
I'ld like to meet Dorcas since she was a semstress.

Gena said...

I have never thought about who I would like to meet. That just gave me chills imagining all of those heroines. I wonder what they look like? For that matter, I just wonder what people will look like in Heaven. The human part of me wishes that we will look exactly the same and we will recognize everybody we love.