Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A NEW TRADITION...

for gift giving!   I'm kinda funny about traditions, you know!  Love 'em!  I decided long ago I would give all my nieces and nephews the same thing for high school graduation and also the same thing when they got married (which is a different thing from the graduation thing - did I confuse you?). It makes it really easy and equal on the gift giving!  I started thinking I wanted to do something special for brides I know especially well.  So here it is:

Tea towels! I did the needlepoint on them and my daughter actually added the trim on this pair because she knows her way around a sewing machine much better than I do. It may not be the most exciting gift, but they are so useful, and inspired by the ones I received so many years ago.

These are remnants of 2 sets I received when I got married 28 years ago. The fruit ones are actually painted with fabric paint, and seam binding added for color on the edge. The lady who made them knew both my grandmothers and made lots of beautiful things! The Tuesday kitty is one of a set also, made by my Grandmommie Betty. She was an extraordinary homemaker and crafter, entering things in the fair and winning all kinds of ribbons. She taught me how to needlepoint, so they are really special to me.

I tried to find out why they are called "tea towels" but didn't have much luck. Maybe because you would wash and dry your dishes after having tea? I don't know, but I use them all the time! Do you have any special useful things like this you received as a wedding gift?

9 comments:

Amy said...

Those are precious! I have a set that I love that were my grandmother's. Making them as gifts is a great idea! Blessings!

Summer said...

I absolutely love these! And if you don't mind, I am kind of in the habit of copying your traditions (we now collect all our christmas cards and pray for all of the families each year). So keep sharing your traditions, I need more to copy!

The Lj's said...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-tea-towel.htm

That's a pretty good explanation of a tea towel...

You have such wonderful ideas!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I received some tea towels as a wedding anniversary...wish I would have written down who gave them to us.

Amy said...

Thank you for the very good advise. Most of the time I am ok about them being gone. I have been blessed too be a stay at home Mom. Maybe that makes it even harder a little because the job you always loved is over full time. Anyway, I am ok, just a little sentimental. Yesterday Wes called and asked what we were doing and we told him we were on our way to eat at one of his favorite places. He asked if he could drive home and come too. Helps to know he misses us too. (Or maybe the food!) ha. Appreciate your words and scripture. Thanks! Amy

Lori said...

Great idea!

OK Chick said...

That is a great gift! I love my tea towels. I received them when my grandma passed away.

Donna said...

Robin, I love this idea. Anything homemade is the most special of gifts. I wish I could embroidery as well as you.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Very neat idea and your daughter got to help.