Saturday, September 3, 2011

OKRA, OKRA EVERYWHERE...

Look at this beautiful bounty!  I grew the cantaloupe in my little garden, but my uncle gave us nearly 40 LBS. OF OKRA AND SQUASH recently!  Most of it I shared, but here's what my kitchen's looked like lately!  

So we've had Roasted Okra with rotisserie chicken...

                                     Okra stewed in Gumbo with shrimp...

And I even tried stuffing it with monterey jack cheese to make Okra poppers....

ANYTHING to avoid making it the best way of course...FRIED!  Well, I think I'll give in and fry some for a family dinner on Monday.  Wish me luck - I'm not an expert fryer - which is a good thing!  At least I'll be sharing the clogged arteries with those I love...

P.S.  The Roasted Okra is my favorite of all these...try THIS simple recipe!

2 comments:

Lori said...

That gumbo looks amazing, and I'm very impressed with your canteloupe!

Michelle said...

I love okra. Jane Winton fixed some for us last night, dusted in cornmeal and lightly fried. It was delicious!!