Monday, April 20, 2009

O YE OF LITTLE FAITH...


Yep, that was me the week before LTC. My kids have participated in various LTC events since they were 3rd graders. Team events are especially enriching, I think. A team of kids working together with a common goal over a few months. Well, my #2 kid who is fairly mature by now committed to doing a puppet show 6 months ago. He did not want any help from Mom, who has coached him and done several puppet teams in the past. So I didn't. Two weeks out from LTC, NOTHING had been done. My stress level was rising. I pushed gently. No results. I prodded. Finally I told him he had committed and would follow through. We weren't going all the way to Dallas just to sing for 5 minutes, we were going to watch his puppet show. The puppet team got together and got 1 page written. His teammate was ready to call it quits and I wouldn't let her. Just kept pushing. Tests, choir contests, all kinds of things the week of LTC. They finally got it written and asked me to put all the "churchy" stuff in the script. We gathered puppets and created penguins from styrofoam balls and made a "Yeti" from the behind of the chicken puppet! The parents were desperate!!! They painted a backdrop 6 hours before we left for Dallas!! Had it not been for a 2 hour practice at the hotel Friday night before the Saturday show, it would have flopped.

THEY GOT A GOLD!

It was a good show - about "Indiana Bones" and his adventures, learning that light, life, and word were the most important things of all. Great sound effects recorded on CD, good puppeteering, and of course the cute penguins made by Mom.

I HAVE VOWED NEVER TO RESCUE MY KID ON A PROJECT AGAIN. (You might have to remind me of this next time, okay?)

4 comments:

Tonya Tuggle said...

I LOVE this story and your blog. O, I don't think I will ever be able to resist rescueing. the funniest thing is you are so good at it, they got a GOLD! It was no tiny save...you totally got them the gold! ha. It was for the kids right?

Lori said...

Going through this same thing this week with an Agri-Science Fair Project with Lauren.

Although, my post tonight is about one of my children bailing me out! So, it CAN work both ways! Of course, it's more frequently the other way!

Gena said...

It would be hard to not rescue your kids when they are potentially going to wreck a situation. I'm afraid I will be no good at it!

Weston said...

Ummmmm... Im pretty sure that we wanted to do it at last minute. That way it wouldnt waste our time...
And... The Penguins looked liked nuns mom.... they looked.. .like nuns........