Monday, April 27, 2009

MY HUSBAND'S IDEA OF FAMILY FUN...


is running a relay race together! I have to admit, now that we've done this a few times, I'm hooked. Even though I'm not a runner (I do walk for exercise!). He dreamed up this idea a few years ago, after completing several marathons, that he could run the FULL MARATHON and also be a member of a RELAY team as well. The family would be the relay team, and we would each run a leg of the race with him to spur him on to the finish line. Well, it works! It was tricky the first year with our youngest at age 9 or so; they ended up at a gas station in the bathroom for 15 minutes. But Dan decided this race wouldn't be about TIME, just about FINISHING. Since then our youngest has proven to be one of the strongest members of our relay team. This year we let our 17 yr. old pass since he had prom the night before, and we recruited our daughter's friend from college to fill in.

The race atmosphere is really inspiring. You see people of all shapes and sizes walking and running, get entertained and fed along the route, and see people persevere to the finish line. It brings tears to your eyes when you see the man pushing his son in the wheelchair, the marine carrying the flag to the finish, the people in obvious pain.

You never could've convinced me 5 years ago, but it is a wonderful, different, kind of activity for a family with older kids to do together! It's a wonderful way to make a memory!

P.S. He finished the marathon in 5 hours, 32 minutes, and placed 1940th. (Don't know the number of marathon participants, but total participants at every level was 19,000)

4 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Way to go you guys! I hope that we can do this together as a family someday too!

kj said...

That post brought a tear to my eye! So cool!!!!!!!! Tell Dan thanks too, I had emailed him 7 months ago asking advice for just training to WALK the marathon. I loved it, and I too am hooked!

Michael and Katie said...

What a great idea! I also would love to do that together with my family someday.

Tonya Tuggle said...

how fun!!! this is such a great idea...btw, if your daughter wants to babysit for us after May 14th, two mornings a week for a month till we move (i know that isn't near full time) we would love it...i pay $12 per hour.