Tuesday, January 27, 2009

LOWFAT AND THEY LIKE IT!


For the last five years or so, I've been very interested in eating less fat. I also love to cook, so you probably have figured out my family has been subjected to many interesting dishes. Some were keepers, some went straight into the garbage!

Here's a recipe I tried yesterday that everyone loved! Of course, they ate it as a dessert with vanilla ice cream. I liked it just fine without.

NO-FAT CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE

1 c. plain nonfat yogurt
1 t. baking soda
1/4 c. applesauce
1 c. brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder

Topping: 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Lightly coat a 9 " pan with cooking spray. In small bowl, combine yogurt and baking soda; mix well and set aside (mixture will grow in volume). In large mixing bowl, beat applesauce with sugar until well mixed. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well, about 2 min. In another bowl, combine flour with baking powder. Alternately add yogurt mixture and flour to applesauce mixture. Mix topping. Spread half the batter in the pan, then sprinkle with half the topping. Repeat. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes.

P.S. I added 1 chopped apple to the batter!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Yum! I will have to try that! I have a apple-pineapple crisp that is low in fat...I should post that sometime!

Lesley said...

yum! thanks for sharing!

Tonya Tuggle said...

thanks for this recipe. i just made your pot pie recipe and we wolfed it down. i made 3 pies and froze 2...which i am glad of because it was more labor intensive to do than i thought it would be. makes me appreiate you bringing it even more now, that i know how much work it was. thanks so much!

Heather said...

I'm making this tonight....thanks for the recipe!

~Sandy said...

I think I may ry this today. I am trying soooooo hard to stay on my diet, but the food just seems so blahhhhh around here. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Sandy

Amy said...

Looks good! Thanks!