Thursday, February 20, 2014

VALENTINE'S DAY SURPRISES...


















A friend of mine remarked how Valentine's Day was one of her favorite holidays because "You don't have to do anything big, like cook a turkey."  I have to agree with her!  I made some cookies and decorated them for senior lunch and as you can see they weren't Pinterest-worthy but they were made with love and I think they enjoyed them.  Something else I did spontaneously was send pics of my vintage valentines by phone text to random friends.  I had a lot of fun with that.  Both of these things I decided to do that day!  Funny for me, the planner.


My college son borrowed his grandma's 50 year old Corvair convertible to take his girlfriend out on a date - cool surprise!  Grandma loved being a part of that! 

Chocolate bread pudding
 The hubs and I don't always do something big, but this year I made reservations at the newly remodeled movie theater at Penn Square Mall.  They have recliners now!  Nice.  We saw "Monuments Men" and also ate at the mall at Pepperoni Grill.  He surprised me by not driving home that night, but went north about a half-mile and turned right into the Waterford Marriott where we spent the night!  It was fun and he had taken care of everything!

I love traditions but that also builds expectations.  And for me I feel the pressure to always be making it wonderful.  Maybe some holidays we should just be more spontaneous, change it up year to year, and make it a surprise!  This one was for me.


4 comments:

OK Chick said...

Those cookies look great!

Michelle said...

What a fun Valentine's Day surprise! Jeremy did the hotel surprise one for our anniversary, it was so exciting!

Unknown said...

How fun! I loved seeing the car, and what a fun date! And, the surprise hotel stay is really neat! You'll be able to be more spontaneous now that you're almost empty-nesters with maybe a little more time to have unscheduled times!

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

How fun!