Monday, February 24, 2014

HEALTHY BIRTHDAY CAKE...AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS

I couldn't decide how to title this post: "Some bad birthday pictures," or "Almost breaking my arm on my husband's birthday, " or just "The healthy birthday cake."  So there's all you need to know about this weekend!  


We went downtown OKC to bike even though it is February and cold and windy.  I was game for whatever the birthday boy wanted to do...don't I look safe with my helmet buckled right under my lip?  Ha - it probably was too tight with the ear band I wore but I didn't care how I looked.  I was trying to stay warm!  Here we are by a really cool sculpture - no name - down by the Devon boathouse.  It's new since last fall.

Oh, and did I mention I fell over when about halfway through the ride we decided to turn around because of the wind?  I attempted to turn around without stopping, lost my balance, couldn't get my foot out of the pedal basket, and fell over, bruising my left arm up pretty good.  Maybe I'll share a pic when it gets to be really pretty colors...

 

Awkward pic celebrating Dad's birthday at Fish City Grill


Ahhh...probably what you came for!  I'll never be a food photographer, but here you go!  I got this from Pinterest and the cake is really good.  It's definitely an UPGRADE from the normal birthday cake I would make.  My husband is on a no refined sugar kick and this cake gets it's sweet from pure maple syrup!  It also has grated carrots, beet, and zucchini in it.  We loved the cake but the frosting has a weird wang.  Probably from the goat cheese in the frosting.  The frosting did have powdered sugar in it, so my husband just scraped it off.  I would definitely make this cake again, different frosting, though!


 Harvest Cake
Makes one 9" layer cake
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder 
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 1/3 cup grated carrots 
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup finely grated beets
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins 
1 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 
2/3 cup safflower, canola or other mild-tasting oil
4 eggs
For the frosting:
15 ounces (about 2 cups) fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup pure maple syrup
For garnish
8-12 walnut halves or 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
flowers
Arrange oven racks to divide oven into thirds. Preheat oven to 400° F Grease two 9in x 2in cake pans, dust with a spoonful of flour and tap out. Line each with a round of parchment paper.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, stir together carrots, zucchini, beets, nuts, and raisins.
In a large mixing bowl, beat maple syrup and oil together until emulsified. Add eggs one at a time, beating until batter is smooth. Add flour mixture in three or four batches, mixing gently until mixture is even. Gently mix in the vegetable mixture. Divide between baking pans.
Place one baking pan in center of each of the racks. Bake 25-35 minutes, until a skewer or paring knife inserted into centers comes out clear and cakes are pulling away from the sides of pans. Cool on a rack about 5 minutes, then gently remove from pans. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
To make frosting:
Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon and a strong arm, beat goat cheese and cream cheese together until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended. Beat in maple syrup. Chill about 30 minutes, until firm.

To assemble:
Following our instructions on how to frost a layer cake, cut four strips of parchment or wax paper to line cake plate under the cake's edges. Place first cake layer on plate. If it has a peaked top, carefully shave it off using a bread knife or sharp slicing knife. Using an off-set spatula or table knife, spread with frosting, pushing it to edges. Place second layer, top down, squarely on first layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting over entire cake to eliminate crumbs. Frost with remaining frosting. Arrange walnut halves and/or flowers around edge. Can also be garnished by gently pressing handfuls of finely chopped walnuts into frosting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your arm! Looks like you had fun, and the healthy cake actually looks good! That is weird about the frosting - especially since it has powdered sugar. Maybe make the cake into cupcakes like muffins??