Monday, August 29, 2011

A NEW CHALLENGE...

After going on the 9th/10th grade Mission Trip this summer, and having a mountain top experience, I selfishly wanted more of it!  I loved the singing every night - long and loud, lifting my spirit.  So I thought the rest of the summer about spending more time with these kids, and told the youth minister I would like to be a small group leader.  Our youth group has had this class model for a number of years, where there is a large group gathering each Sunday with lots of beautiful singing, of course, and a lesson, followed by a short discussion with their small group.  That is what I THOUGHT I was signing up for - getting in on their worship and leading a short discussion about the lesson - but at a recent meeting, I found out the youth  ministry team is making a change!  Now there will be an abbreviated large group gathering, and we as group leaders are to spend 30 minutes TEACHING the lesson in small groups.  WHOA! Not what I planned on doing!  But I decided not to renege (I learned how to spell that today) and accept it as a challenge.  Boy how God answers prayers sometimes!  But it's not as scary as it sounds - we will be given complete lesson plans from the youth ministers, and I will share responsibilities with a co-leader.  The main purpose besides teaching, is to be another Christian adult that teens can trust.  So I am asking you to PRAY for me today that I will be that trusted Christian adult for these girls.  I also found out that many of the women group leaders surprise their girls with treats from time to time; no problem here, I love to do that!  But if there is one thing I can leave with these girls after this year, it is this:
I AM ROYALTY
I AM A PRINCESS, A DAUGHTER OF THE KING
I AM GOD'S SPECIAL POSSESSION!


I Peter 2:9  You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

I have decided (with my co-leader's blessing) that we will recite this verse and this affirmation every Sunday in our small group.  Going through the teen years myself with low self esteem is what is behind this encouragement.  I hope self-fulfilling prophecy works and these girls will remember they are precious, no matter what the world says!

Any suggestions for practical ways to ingrain this in their brains?

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

You will be a great example and mentor to these girls. You are to me!! And I know you will be to them. Blessings on your new teaching endeavor.

Gena said...

That sounds like many scary, great moments that are yet to come. I think I know some sweet girls that fall into that age group. So glad they have your example and experience raising your own daughter to learn from. I honestly thought about e mailing you this week about my own! I need a manual for seven year old girls....

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I can't think of a better person to do this job! I think of how much of a blessing DeeAnn has been to our family and I know much of that was learned from you! You are going to do great! Will be praying!

Unknown said...

You'll do a great job and I'm excited to hear about this new venture. You don't need any advice....just do what I know you'll do. Lead with your heart :).

OK Chick said...

I did this last year with Heidi. It was a great experience. You will enjoy it, and be great with the girls.

Summer said...

You are such a blessing to MRCC! Please still be doing this when Mia gets there :)

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I'm sure you will do great at this like you do with everything you set your mind to. Like anything new, I can understand your apprehension. (I think I spelled that wrong.)