Sunday, August 21, 2011

CURB APPEAL NEEDED...

Just got to spend some time with my DD moving her to college for her senior year!  Both of our vehicles were loaded to the gills because she is renting a small house for the first time!  The University was so full they asked some of the students to move out of the campus apartments.  Thankfully, she and a friend found a little house - A TINY HOUSE -  just one block from school.  After meeting the landlord, we made multiple trips to Walmart for food and accessories, Lowe's for a NEW TOILET SEAT and 3 tier shelving, Goodwill for a desk, and Big Lots for the other stuff we forgot. Needless to say, I'm proud of her - that she is unfazed by this tiny, ugly little place.  She doesn't care that it doesn't have central heat and air, no washer/dryer (but it does have a clothesline), scratched appliances, and very little storage.  Or that her living room view is of a grocery store  loading dock.  Another adventure awaits!

TT
The back door barely clears the stove
The bathroom looking good with a new toilet seat and shelving
Kitchen dinette consisting of a small table, desk chair and ottoman
Living area with cloth napkin window treatments(my added touch)

It may not look like much, but it's exciting stuff in our little world!

7 comments:

Summer said...

Well it is certainly a lot more charming on the outside than the inside. It's amazing what a college kid thinks is awesome!

Lori said...

I think it's great that she is not concerned with some of the things we might think you have to have to make it liveable (like central heat and AC!). It's also a wonderful opportunity to see what it's like to live on her own before she really is out in the world. With her decorating skills and positive attitude, she will have it perked up in no time! How fun that you got to help her settle in.

Alyssa said...

I like the rock part on the outside. I heard Harding had record enrollment of 7000+! Impressive.

Lori said...

I hope you'll take after pictures in a few months. I think her talents and abilities will make a big impression on that little place!!

Catherine said...

Oh man! I remember my first little non-apartment place. I was a little older than she is, but it was pretty crummy. My kitchen MIGHT have been a touch smaller than hers. Floor heat that was very touchy, window A/C that didn't work. It wasn't easy. And I was so proud of it! She'll have a great time.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

My mom was disappointed with the curb appeal at OC when she dropped me off as a freshman. She shared that with me years later.

I liked the rocks on the outside.

Amy said...

It is a great adventure! We just made all those store trips for our boys in their little house too. Hang in there...both of us! Blessings!