Saturday, January 2, 2010

I'M NOT THE QUEEN ANYMORE...



The queen of unfinished projects, that is!!! I finished, on January 1, 2010, a jeans blanket that I started approximately 10 years ago. It's been a source of ridicule too long...I know it's been approximately 10 years, because I remember the house I lived in when I tore the page out of a magazine and decided I would make it. And it's not this house, that we've lived in the past 10 years!

Look closely...the seam of the jeans runs across the square diagonally...meaning I could only get about 4 squares from each pair of jeans. That's one reason the STINKIN THANG took so long! I refused to buy jeans for this project. Well, maybe I bought a few pair from garage sales.

I worked on it occasionally, and vividly remember taking jeans, scissors, and template up to the hospital in 2006, when my husband spent many days in the hospital after an accident.

I sewed the pieces together just last year, but had a hard time deciding how to back it, because it is HEAVY! So I let it sit for another year....I finally sewed it all together yesterday.

The cool thing is, when I look at it, and my family looks at it, we see memories. I see the squares with the white piping on the seam and remember the overalls of my 10 year old daughter. I see the faded, almost purple squares that I know belonged to my little boy. The very worn seams of my husband's jeans. My funky 80's pairs with the subtle stripes and windowpane patterns! And the seam with the pockets of my baby's painter's jeans. (I think that's what we called those jeans with all the pockets along the legs)

So I write to give all of you hope. Go get 'em done!

Now I can relax the rest of 2010...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5 comments:

Summer said...

That's awesome! COngratulations, you just made an heirloom.

Gena said...

That is so cool. I have a thing for denim. If I ever figure out the sewing thing, this might be an unfinished project for me.....

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

I love your quilt. I'm so excited for you. Sewing through jean seams is very challenging.

What's your next project to get finished?

Lori said...

Looks great! I like your new layout, too. See you tomorrow!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I love it! I can't believe you were that patient, but how it has paid off!