Monday, August 3, 2009

CRIME & PUNISHMENT...


Well, it's the blog post you've all been waiting for...or haven't you heard? This summer has brought us our 26th year of marriage, several birthdays, and oh yeah, a trip to Juvenile Court with our middle child. I'm not posting this to get laughs - ALTHOUGH SOME PARTS OF IT ARE FUNNY- not to ask for sympathy, but just to be a reminder to you and your children, that sometimes GOOD KIDS DO DUMB THINGS. It's also to give you a picture of how the system works around here, in suburban Oklahoma. Because I had no idea, and I want you to know.

It all started back in the end of May, that crazy end of school year time. My son and some friends were having some harmless fun, or so we thought. (I have to add that these boys are active students at their school that get good grades) Actually we were told they were going to play volleyball and we expected them home by midnight to play XBOX all night long. My husband and I conked out around 11 p.m., just as the fun was starting for the boys. They went to the store to pick up a few cans of biscuits. Now I knew they had done something with biscuit dough before, but didn't know what. I figured it was stuck all over some hot girl's windshield. But they had been throwing biscuit dough at cars. They say it makes a cool smacking sound and it sticks really good. Anyway, besides the fact that you should NEVER THROW ANYTHING at a car, they picked the wrong person to throw it at - a college girl with friends. She must've turned around pretty quickly because she tracked them down and came up our street, just as the carload of biscuit throwers exited. After some heated discussion, the girl made several claims about what the biscuit dough had done to her car, and she called the police. The police arrived a little while later, and the boys met them outside our house. For some reason the policeman did not think the parents should be notified, even though all four boys were juveniles. (!) Our son asked him if he should wake his parents and he said, "No, I think we can handle this like adults." Yeah, right. We were not given the chance to see the girl's car, talk to her, or anything. Anyway, we didn't find out about it until the next morning, when all the boys left quietly - not even sticking around for the donuts we had bought them.
So in June we were notified that the girl was pressing charges against all four boys for vandalism. Unfortunately for us, the policeman misfiled it for Traffic Court, so it had to be refiled for Juvenile Court. This put everything back another month. We received several documents in the mail, had to turn in about 10 pages of paperwork, pay $484 for the offense and court fees(our son is paying us back slowly), go to a mandatory counseling session, and finally, see the juvenile court judge. The judge was nice to us and called our son a "KNUCKLEHEAD" which, oddly enough, is the language my husband uses when our kids do something without thinking. The punishment consists of 20 hours of community service (we were told the minimum was 50 hours, so we were happily surprised!) which can be fulfilled by participating in Project Spirit, an all day challenge course. Dad will go with him to that, while I am required to attend 12 hours of Life Skills classes with him. Additionally, he will have an 8p.m. weekday/9p.m. weekend curfew until December, turn in report cards, and call in weekly to the court as they "track" his progress. Restitution will be determined in December, as the judge is not convinced that the biscuit dough did any real damage to the woman's car. I'll be glad when it's all over!!!
So many lessons have been learned and he will be paying for this for quite some time, although we are told it will not go on his permanent record if everything is fulfilled. The prayer that I have prayed and possibly you too, for your own children, has been answered. "Lord, let him get caught if he is doing wrong."

13 comments:

Summer said...

oh my goodness. I am so sorry this happened. what a mess....and a wake-up call. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

You are a good, strong mama for saying that prayer. A great example for us all.

I"m glad the punishment fit the crime and that lessons will be learned but no longer term damage done.

...this too shall pass. :)

Lesley said...

oh man! i'm so sorry! what a mess! thank you for your thoughts and the reminder that good kids mess up. I know mine will and I'm glad i know somebody I can go talk to when they do!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Thank you for sharing...Was the punishment for the child or the parents...it sounds like you guys have a lot of work cut out...then again, when is parenting not a lot of work?! Thanks again for yesterday...the kids were still talking about it later!

Anonymous said...

OK, as I started to read, I thought what could he have possibly done! I couldn't imagine, what a mess! Kind of reminds me of a time with Jana, Linda Hild and Shari Hankins and some TP. We didn't get in as bad of trouble, but we did get stopped by the police on our way home.
Hope it all works out in the end!
love ya, Karen

Unknown said...

It sounds like the judge was fair and I'm sure all the boys learned many lessons from the whole experience.

I like your prayer at the end. So true.

See you this weekend :).

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I'll file this away in case I need it in the future.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of this is that you didn't try to get him out of the punishment even tho' the 'crime' seemed harmless. I'm sorry you are suffering with the punishment, too. It makes me wonder how much more serious trouble kids would avoid if all parents would pray as you have!

Gena said...

He reminds me so much of my brother Jeff (A good kid that just did silly things with friends.) Climbing the half mile tall blinking towers, rolling people's trash cans in the streets.....you name it, they did it. All in fun of course, but knucklehead things all the same. Sorry you have to go through this! Lesson learned.......

Alyssa said...

Oh my goodness! Wow - never knew about throwing biscuit dough. And you are great parents for sharing your story about good kids doing stupid things. Thank you for sharing. I need to start saying that prayer now!!!

Let'sMakeADifference said...

What a refreshing and wonderful post!! Your honesty helps all of us in blogland feel so much more normal....whatever that means! I also have asked God to show me, using whatever means are neccessary, when my children are doing something they shouldn't be doing! Life is full:)

Michelle said...

Now I know....

Lori said...

How much better it is when kids make mistakes and pay the consequences while they are still under their parent's roof. As someone said, it's great that you did not try to get him out of it, but trusted God through the whole process. Better to learn a lesson on something little than on something huge later. I've heard many examples of what happens when we pray that our children will be caught if they do something wrong. When they know we are praying this, sometimes that can even be a deterrent :) Praise God for your humble spirit and willingness to share your experiences and insights so that others can learn from them.