Wednesday, August 19, 2009

THE 18TH BIRTHDAY TRADITION...




Well, this post is about a month overdue, but I thought I'd just wait until we were having kind of a slow week, and I could pull this one outa the file!

I'm pretty big on traditions. They're a great way to make family relationships stronger. You may not have even realized some of your traditions until your kids ask, " Why are we doing ______________? We always do it this way!!!" I even consciously quit a tradition once, when we moved to another house. I did not want my husband to risk his life any more putting Christmas lights on top of the house. Especially since we were moving to a 2-story house!!! The kids had to settle for a new way of decorating the house for Christmas.

Anyway, I thought we were all done with new traditions until my daughter approached her 18th birthday. I remembered 15 years earlier when my husband and I went on a trip to Palm Desert, California. He was planning on playing golf, and since I was about 6 months pregnant, I planned on going to the spa. There was a mother and daughter there together, celebrating the daughter's 18th birthday (that spa did not allow children under 18). I thought that was such a neat idea and decided I would do something similar for my daughter when she turned 18. Anyway, for her 18th birthday, we ended up in Arkansas because she was making a college visit. We had a fun time shopping, eating good food, and going to a spa!

So what spa would I take my son to? Well, I didn't exactly go on that trip - he chose the total opposite of relaxation - POWER HANG GLIDING! He and my husband took off on a trip to Texas and had their own fun doing this!

Not every tradition has to involve a lot of money. Obviously, this wasn't exactly free, but as the commercial says:

TIME TOGETHER: PRICELESS!

4 comments:

Gena said...

I totally agree. Traditions and time together. I love having something that the kids remember year after year and come to expect. Not sure I will be doing any gliding any time soon, though.

Lori said...

I think this looks like lots of fun. Of course I've stolen other ideas from you so I plan to steal this one, too!! :) I love family traditions.

But, you know what? I can see Lauren choosing the power hang gliding over the spa trip, too!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

That is so cool! Joshua and I went Skydiving for our 2nd anniversary. We won't be making that tradition since we have a family now, but we loved it.

A.Marie said...

Great post and awesome pics! I also love family traditions! :)