Friday, June 6, 2014

UNEXPECTED GRIEF...



Grief is an interesting thing.  I wouldn't have thought I would have grieved much over the death of an aunt who left our family due to divorce 30 years ago.  But I have some fond memories of her those first 18 years of my life.  She was the one who first showed me how you make cinnamon rolls from a giant circle of dough on the table.  She was the one who had cute little baby boys when I was 10 years old, the first babies I really got to play with.  She was the one who let me keep the chicken feet for Show and Tell when my uncle killed the chickens.  I just hadn't thought about these memories for so long.  Yes, I thought I was all done with grieving that loss of relationship, having not seen her except for a couple of times through the last 30 years.

One reason for grief was because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding her death.  No one would ever want this!   She was 62 years old, went to bed, and didn't wake up.  Only problem was, no one missed her for 8 days.  8 days!  It's hard to process how that can happen.  Why didn't her employer call someone - or did they not have any contact information?  Her son did not call either.  Finally a neighbor inquired and the investigation began.  It was not a pretty sight.  I did not go there but heard plenty.  Just how does this happen?  Did she not have people who cared about her?  So sad.  I am trying to remember the sweet, smiling face in the pictures of the slide show of her life that I put together for the funeral...

Another reason for my grief was just because of what SIN had done to her family.  Once a faithful Christian family, SIN entered in and caused marriage problems and divorce.  Two young children were scarred and all church activities ceased.  SIN continued to deceive and cause more trouble in their lives and eventually one son committed suicide and one served time in prison.  I think about the scriptures like I Peter 5:8:  Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  This family was devoured.  I can only pray for the one that remains, be loving and accepting to him.  

Yes, grief is a strange thing.  It hits you when you least expect it.


1 comment:

Mark Brewer said...

We always underestimate how the things we do, the things we don't do, or decisions, or words or our actions ripple through time across the years.

I'm so sorry for your grief and your loss.