Wednesday, June 4, 2014

TOO RELIGIOUS...

One of my favorite websites is Tripadvisor.com, where you can read real reviews from real people.  I have thoroughly enjoyed using this tool when planning a vacation - you can find out if the hotel is located next to a trash dump or other helpful information the hotel might not share on their website.  I've posted my opinions there on many restaurants, hotels, and activities.  While reading about a particular bed & breakfast, I came across this post:


Grand style architecture, wide hallways, immense lobby with fireplaces and 1890s feel. Well appointed with engaged staff. Located to visit the hot springs. Arrived and departed by train with free shuttle. Good restaurant and bar. Very comfortable. Only they are too religious: they place an open bible on the table in every room. This seems like proselytizing and pushy to me which is very unwelcome in a hospitality vendor. Very inappropriate and unwanted. I requested a religion-free room. No Bibles please.


It just got me to thinking, what does my home "say" to people?  Better yet, what does my body language say?  It sounds like in the description that the staff did a good job.  Unfortunately there will always be those who feel we are "too religious."  It's up to us to follow Jesus and his example of meeting every person where they are and accepting them. 

It reminds me of I Cor. 9:19-23:
19 I am free and belong to no one. But I make myself a slave to all people to win as many as I can. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew to win the Jews. I myself am not ruled by the law. But to those who are ruled by the law I became like a person who is ruled by the law. I did this to win those who are ruled by the law. 21 To those who are without the law I became like a person who is without the law. I did this to win those people who are without the law. (But really, I am not without God’s law—I am ruled by Christ’s law.) 22 To those who are weak, I became weak so I could win the weak. I have become all things to all people so I could save some of them in any way possible. 23 I do all this because of the Good News and so I can share in its blessings.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't that interesting? I'm sure others would feel that same way. Instead of letting it anger me (like I know it would have in the past), I'm going to pray for those who are bothered by "too religious" things! Thanks for sharing. It's good to be made aware of the feelings of others and how we may be seen by others. Not that we should change, but maybe we can open up conversations with them because of it!

Michelle said...

Because of a few open Bibles?!? Do they make you attend chapel or classes....that may be too religions, but I wouldn't personally classify that as too religious! That person must not ever open the drawer under the phone in a hotel room, cause he'll find one there, but I guess if its closed and in a drawer it's okay