Tuesday, October 23, 2012

FUNNY NAME FOR A WONDERFUL APPETIZER...

While in Denver we ate at a restaurant called Linger, which was one of the highlights of our visit.  I ate "Devils on horseback" a delicious bacon-wrapped date, and decided I must try to make them!  I had never heard of them, but apparently nothing is new in the Google world!  I found several recipe variations and even saw on one site this recipe is a throw back from the 1970's.  I don't think they made these in my neck of the woods in the 70's.  But I was a little kid then so maybe I didn't notice.

Here's the recipe we came up with:

Devils on horseback

Pitted dates
Goat Cheese
Bacon
Soy sauce
Brown sugar

Cut bacon slices in halves.  Cut dates in halves, not slicing all the way through, but where you can open it up to put cheese inside.  Stuff a little cheese where the pit used to be, then close it back up.  Wrap bacon around it.  Dip in soy sauce, then roll in brown sugar.  Secure with a toothpick.  Place in a pan with a rack (so it won't stick) and broil 10-15 minutes or until bacon is done.  Delicious!


Sticky and time consuming.  But so worth it!   So what do you think - maybe the healthy date cancels out the fat in the bacon?  :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually like the sound of these. Bringing them for Thanksgiving??? :)

Gena said...

That sounds so good. Somewhere in there I would love a water chestnut and wasabi. Yum.

Summer Lashley said...

This sounds delicious!