Saturday, May 7, 2011

LUNCH WITH 2 NONAGENARIANS AND 1 CENTENARIAN...

and no, they are not VEGETARIAN! LOL. My Grandmother Flora has moved to a new nursing home after a couple of stays in the hospital. Supposedly this place has better food. I've been going there for lunch the last few weeks to see....and I've met the most charming ladies at her table!!!

Yesterday we were talking about birthdays,and the sweet lady in the middle told me she was 91 years old, and was quite proud of it. She repeatedly asks me where I'm from and tells me she is from Tulsa. She always comments on any jewelry I am wearing and wears a great big plastic pink ring on her left hand.

I told her my Grandma is going to celebrate her 95th birthday soon, and the lady on the left says to me,"Well I turned 100 a couple of months ago, and I've never had my picture taken so much in all my life!" She was hilarious! I couldn't believe she was that old. I really thought she was younger. She's only been in the nursing home the past year or so, due to a hip fracture. She appreciated the fact that I thought she was younger than anyone else at the table!!!

3 comments:

Summer said...

you are an awesome granddaughter. I plan to follow in your footsteps someday.

Alyssa said...

I agree. You are so, so kind. And a great example to a younger generation of people who don't tend to "hang out" with older people.

Lori said...

I miss those visits with Grandmother Amy and my Grandma, yet sometimes, I admit, they were difficult to fit into the schedule. You're not only continuing to bring joy to your Grandma, but now to these 2 new friends! :)