Tuesday, April 5, 2011

NOT JUST FOR OLD LADIES...

It's been interesting to me sitting and serving on various committees in our church throughout the years. I've been active in the Women's Fellowship Committee for a while now. We try to offer several different kinds of activities during the year and this is one that has been around for a few years. It's a BOOK PORTRAYAL, kind of a one-act play. Unfortunately a lot of women attending have been of the older generation and they feel like it has gotten the reputation of being an "old ladies thing." Well, I'm here to tell you, it was a fun evening ANYONE above the age of 12 would enjoy.

What's a BOOK PORTRAYAL? Not reading a book, but feeling like you have...watching the story told before your eyes, by a woman who becomes the main character. Add in lots of fun finger foods and it's FREE - pretty good evening!

Last night's book portrayal was the autobiography of Beverly Sills, the opera singer. I learned several things about her, including how she really broke ground on the art of opera in the U.S., which back then was considered a "European art." How she struggled with depression after the birth of 2 disabled children, and how her loving husband was a tremendous encouragement to her, and even her successes in opera and business did not compare with the love of her family. It was a wonderful story of encouragement to anyone, young or old.

So next time this rolls around, be daring. Bring your friend or neighbor and enjoy an "old ladies thing."

The youngest participant! Maybe she should have gotten a prize?
Some other young ladies that came!

Carol "becomes" the main character of the book and tells her story.
My kind of dinner!

3 comments:

Gena said...

I heard about that and had no idea what it was about. Next time I will try to make it....that sounds really cool. I'll bring some 'young' people. ;)

Alyssa said...

I had no idea...this is a great advertisement for the next one. I will go!

Catherine said...

I was actually intrigued, and just couldn't make it. But maybe next one!