Thursday, February 5, 2009

WHEW...WHAT A RELIEF!!!


I have to confess I haven't read many parenting books lately. I read a lot when my kids were younger. But in conjunction with parent retreat preparation, I picked this up at the library. I decided I could use some help in motivating my kids to do their chores. It's an interesting read, and I found out, according to Barkley's definition....MY KIDS ARE NOT DEFIANT! Yea! I did find out however, that I was not being a consistent parent. Every time I give my kids a break and don't say anything about the chore left undone, I was reinforcing the fact that they could get away with it. And if I can't stand something, it's INCONSISTENCY. I had relaxed a little too much. Gotten a little tired. So I'm trying, no matter how good or busy or whatever they are doing, I cannot give them a break with this particular issue. Hopefully they will learn their lessons in home responsibility.


I highly recommend this book. If you need some ideas, it's got some examples of contracts you can make for whatever parenting problem you are trying to solve!

2 comments:

Tonya Tuggle said...

oh robin, your post makes me realize by having kids, I just signed up for 20+ years of being tired. can't we relax a little bit when they hit a certain age...is it truly 20+ years of them wearing us down physically, then mentally!? I know you are reaping the benefits of good discipline while they were younger. it does give me hope!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Ditto to Tonya...and do you have any cures for a 3 year old melt down running away from his Daddy through the gym yelling "I want my Mommy" when his Daddy's arms are full and so tired that he can barely walk after a hard workout.