Monday, February 16, 2009

70'S SKATEBOARDING VS. 00'S RIPSTICKING


So, you might never have guessed, but I was a "skater" back in the 70's.  A skateboarder, that is.  I was just reflecting on how skateboarding has changed:

In the 70's the basic skateboard was wooden.  I was lucky and got a hot pink heavy duty plastic GT Spoiler, about 1975.  I would've never remembered that brand, but it's in my garage right now.  Broken (by my kids) but I just couldn't give it up!  

Today there are SKATEBOARDS and LONGBOARDS and RIPSTICKS, and who knows what else?  My son has had several, and currently owns a Ripstick.  

I skateboarded down my friend Janet's long cement driveway, because mine was gravel.  Today my 13 yr. old ripsticks down streets, sidewalks, and has gotten run off of college campuses!  They have even created skateparks specifically for these kids!  

We wore what our mothers insisted on - playclothes!  Today they make all kinds of helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, etc.  that my kid probably should wear.  Lot of cool clothes too.  

My tricks consisted of sitting down on the skateboard and making it all the way down Janet's driveway without falling off, putting 2 skateboards side by side and trying one for each foot, and other variations of that.   My son speaks a skateboard language of tricks, and I have no idea what he means.  

Interesting how skateboarding has morphed into a $$$ form of entertainment for so many.  I wonder what we will be saying about toys 30 years from now...


1 comment:

Vanessa Wright said...

Excellent website. A lot of helpful information here. I am sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
powered skateboard