Wednesday, August 15, 2018

PIE VS. PIE AND THE REHEARSAL DINNER...


The Rehearsal Dinner.  My last chance to make a good impression on the bride and her family!
Patrick's Hawaiian Cafe was recommended as a caterer by Aunt Barb, the aunt of the bride.  Anything in Portland was not recommended because of Friday afternoon traffic.  Aunt Barb and Uncle Bill were the hosts for both the Rehearsal Dinner and Wedding on their beautiful farm just across the river from Portland in Ridgefield, Washington.  They had hosted events like this before so were great to offer their place once again.  So, not having ever been to Oregon, I went with Patrick's to do the catering.

The Menu:

Teriyaki Chicken
Kalua Pork
Rice
Macaroni Salad
Green Salad
Yakisoba Noodles and Vegetables
Haupia 

 I had decided to decorate with a pineapple theme.  I brought some decorations with me, but decided the best thing to do would be to buy greenery and pineapples there.  We also bought additional pineapples to cut pineapple boats to sit on the tables for the guests.  On the catering menu, the meal included Haupia for dessert.  I didn't know what that was, but it was described to me as a coconut jello square.  Needless to say, I wasn't sure about it, so I made my mind up to find some really good pies to add to the meal.

So as soon as we arrived, I began the PIE TASTING.  I visited three places:  Pie  vs. Pie in Gresham, Shari's Cafe and Pie in Vancouver, Washington, and Larson's Bakery in Vancouver.  Shari's Cafe and Pie was okay, but all I tasted was sugar, not much chocolate flavor in their chocolate pie.  Larson's had a beautiful presentation but I tasted a hint of artificial flavor in their banana cream pie.  Pie vs. Pie won out in presentation and flavor both! We ended up ordering Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, 2 Chocolate Cream, a Macadamia Nut Pie, and the bride's favorite, 2 Marionberry.

The day of Rehearsal Dinner there was a lot of picking up people from the airport and I went for a blowout so I wouldn't have to do my hair for a while.  We picked up the pies and headed out to the farm two hours before the Rehearsal was to begin.  The Hubs and my DIL made tea and the pineapple boats, while everyone else helped me decorate.

The evening went well.  After the Rehearsal, we gathered in the backyard and we played the Meeting Game, the same one we played at our other kid's rehearsal dinners.  We had special name tags to fill out and Jenga pieces for the group to write a message to the bride and groom.  The Hubs lead a prayer and we ate some good food and the pie was a hit!  I didn't get to taste the Marionberry, but the Macadamia Nut Pie was great! (I'm a Pecan Pie fan and it's similar) All my research paid off.

Just let me know if you ever need someone to do some Pie research for you.  :)















No comments: