Tuesday, August 21, 2018

LESS AMUSEMENT PARKS = MORE FUN...

My personal opinion, of course...or maybe just the feelings of a parent who's done plenty of amusement parks!

I noticed on our recent road trip how much I enjoyed some things and others not-so-much.  Portland - that don't impress a me much - in the words of Shania!  It was like a crazy amusement park to me.  The traffic and all was a big turn off.  They do have some good restaurants, though!  I'm sure if there are grandchildren in our future it may include some amusement parks.  But my choice right now is to spend my free time in more peaceful, natural settings.  Places off the beaten path, places without crowds of people, and finding beauty in the simple things are what draws me.

Several times I found myself alone because The Hubs was working on this trip too.  One day I biked in Eugene, Oregon through a park.







Another day at Crater Lake National Park I drove about 15 minutes to the Pinnacles Trail and got to see these amazing fumaroles!






It was early in the morning and I had the place to myself.  It was a great time to just meditate and think about how powerful and wonderful our Creator is!

Finally, I realized all this when we got to our final destination, South Lake Tahoe, California.  My expectations were elevated because I've heard so many say how beautiful it is. We stayed in a Marriott, which we usually do if possible, and it was right by Heavenly Ski Village.  Steps from our hotel was village of restaurants, shops, a movie theater, and a huge gondola to ride up the mountain.  It was chaos of noise and people.  Again, like an amusement park! And I found myself angry, on vacation!  How absurd was that!  I tried not to let my disappointment show to The Hubs.  It just wasn't for me, I guess. Only when we took an expensive ride up the mountain in the gondola was the beauty of Lake Tahoe visible.

So I guess it's good to reflect and know what feeds your soul.  I will continue to try and enjoy whatever situation I'm in, but I really know what's best for me, now.  It reminds me of the words of Paul in Philippians 4:11, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."


No comments: