Sunday, July 19, 2015

MY CRANBERRY ORANGE OBSESSION...

 It all started with Orange Cranberry Muffins...

Then I found this recipe for Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies the other day that is relatively healthy if you are trying to avoid sugar.
 (http://practicalstewardship.com/2014/12/05/cranberry-orange-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies/)  I liked it okay, but they got too soft for me the next day.  I like crunch.  Needless to say I have tried several recipes lately.  But here is a wonderful crunchy granola recipe I think is a keeper!



CRANBERRY ORANGE SPICE GRANOLA
 This orange spice granola is flavored with orange zest, cinnamon and spices,and loaded with sweet cranberries and crunchy nuts. Author: Alissa from Connoisseurusveg.com, with adaptations from RW

INGREDIENTS
  ½ cup orange juice (I used 2 real oranges for this)
  ¼ cup brown sugar
  ¼ cup maple syrup
  ¼ cup almond butter (I used fresh made peanut butter)
  1 tsp. vanilla extract
  1 tsp. orange zest
  ¼ cup coconut oil (or other vegetable oil)
  3 cups rolled oats (I used a mix of quick and old fashioned)
  1 cup sliced almonds (I used chopped pecans and walnuts)
  ½ cup shredded coconut
  2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  2 tsp. powdered ginger
  1 tsp. ground star anise* (I did not have)
  ½ tsp. ground cloves
  ¼ tsp. salt
  1 cup dried cranberries

INSTRUCTIONS
1  Preheat oven to 300º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2  Place orange juice, brown sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla extract and orange zest into small saucepan. Whisk together and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat, whisking very frequently, until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in oil.
3  Stir oats, almonds, coconut, spices and salt together in large mixing bowl. Add orange juice mixture and stir until oats are evenly coated.
4  Spread mixture in 2 even layers on baking sheets. Bake until edges become lightly browned, about 35 minutes.
5  Transfer baking sheets to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely. Add cranberries and transfer to airtight storage container.


NOTE:  I baked it about 10 minutes longer than suggested and also stirred it a few times to get more surfaces toasted.  

2 comments:

OK Chick said...

I love cranberry orange scones!!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Where do you get them? I can't stand dry scones so I don't eat them very much.