Saturday, June 20, 2015

SUMMER READS...


THE ASTRONAUT WIVES CLUB
Wow, my bubble really got burst on this one!  Since I was born in the 60's, I didn't really remember when the first missions to the moon happened.  The wives of the astronauts really went through some stress, trying to portray being the perfect wife and perfect marriage.  There was no counseling for them, not in that era.  It's interesting to hear the memories from them, and I loved the pictures!

THE ART OF POSSIBILITY
This one I listened to on CD while cleaning...the main things I got out of it was if you are a leader you should take responsibility for your team.  When a mistake is made, own up to it.  Don't point fingers.  When something unexpected happens say, "How fascinating!"  They used this phrase several times throughout the book when telling tales of their experiences, so that one really stuck with me.

O'S LITTLE BOOK OF HAPPINESS
This little book on CD kept my son and me company driving on a trip.  It's a collection of different anecdotes and stories selected from Oprah's magazine.  My favorite was the one about a woman who went on a true adventure - went against her nature to plan trips and just went on a trip totally upon recommendations from strangers.  She ended up in Tokyo and everything she ate and experienced was based on what strangers recommended.  Interesting idea!   Just something fun to listen to...


PICNIC IN PROVENCE
Love this one - the story of Elizabeth Bard, an American living in France, married to a Frenchman.  It's the story of how they adapted to life in a small village, after living in Paris.  I really enjoy getting to live out my dream of living abroad through books.  A memoir with recipes!





No comments: