Wednesday, April 23, 2014

SEARCHING FOR SIGNIFICANCE...


As a SAHM the last 15 years, and that time ending soon since the baby graduates high school this May, I have been thinking, wondering and praying about what I've done and what comes next.  I'm scared and excited.  I'm happy and I'm sad.  I'm on an emotional roller coaster (and you are probably tired of hearing me talk about it)!  Have I done anything significant with my life?  I'm actually a little embarrassed to admit this.  In my head I know I'm God's special creation and what I have chosen to do in the prime of my life is a good work.  It's my focus that gets out of whack sometimes.  I admire working women that seem to have it all.  But I know most of them will admit they don't have it all or feel guilt over their parenting. Most people would probably admit they have some self-doubt in this part of their life.

 Significance is definitely different to our heavenly Father.  

Our minister touched on this in his message Sunday night, and I really was encouraged.  He pointed out something in Colossians 4 at the end of the letter that most people would overlook as just a list of salutations.  But what he brought out was that Tychicus and Epaphras are mentioned and given special attention.  One is a faithful helper and encourager; another prays fervently.  They both are unknowns to us otherwise, and they get a lot more mention than Luke and Mark! (Luke, the famous doctor/author, and Mark, Jesus' disciple and author)  In other words these non-famous New Testament Christians, that we know nothing about, are significant.  Being faithful, being a helper and encourager, and being fervent in prayer is worth spending your life on...

1 Peter 2:9-10

New Century Version (NCV)
But you are a chosen people, royal priests, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession. You were chosen to tell about the wonderful acts of God, who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.10 At one time you were not a people, but now you are God’s people. In the past you had never received mercy, but now you have received God’s mercy.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are very significant! You have been, you are, and you will be! :) Your life is changing, but I know you will always find a way to help and to serve.