Monday, May 13, 2019

GREEN PASTURES...



Psalm 23, probably one of the most well-known scriptures, has been on my mind lately.  I've been in a Wednesday night ladies class with a video by Jennifer Rothschild on the subject.  It may seem tedious to some, but looking at such a wonderful passage verse by verse can really help you focus on the real meaning of it.  It helps you get into the mind of the author.  It help you realize how it affects your life.

We were focusing on the meaning behind what shepherds do with their flock - their care and leading of them to green pastures.  They lead them to what's best for them.  And we got down to the real application for us...

WHAT ARE MY GREEN PASTURES?


Then Jennifer asked, "Are your green pastures your home?  Your family?  Your cars?  Travel?"  Are you leading yourself to those things?  Or are you letting the Shepherd lead you?  Are you letting Him take you to what is best for you?

WELL, THAT WAS A GUT PUNCH!

For a while now my life has been focused on ME, and my own green pastures of the excuse of a woman who has raised three kids with all her energy and now is ready for rest.  To sit in my own green pasture of relaxation and recreation.  Yes, I do have projects going outside of myself, but I'm not sure I'm letting the Shepherd lead.

I had to give myself an attitude adjustment earlier this year when we had to cancel our January plans to go to the beach for a couple of weeks (the Hubs would still work out of the condo).  His need to travel to other offices for work and also to help with a project at church just made that impossible.  So  I reluctantly cancelled our reservation.  I was not too happy but tried to focus on the blessings I do have (which are many).

Then we started thinking about a summer vacation.  The Hubs wanted to go to North Dakota, of all places!  It would be his 50th state to visit!  Really, what fun is there in North Dakota? Needless to say, I was a little disappointed but tried to get over it. After some research, I actually found some interesting things we could do on this lengthy road trip, so I was getting excited about it.

Then a funny, amazing, exciting thing happened! Three days ago I heard him talking on a conference call about some meeting in London.  I started wondering...then he said at dinner that it looked like he would have to go to London 2 days after we got home from North Dakota!  Well, long story short, we cancelled all those North Dakota road trip reservations and are now making reservations in Ireland and London!  So, my grateful heart is excited to travel with my husband to a new place, but I also have realized I must be careful and not let pleasure become my green pastures.


OUR TRUE GREEN PASTURES,
OUR TRUE SOURCE OF NOURISHMENT,
PEACE, AND CONTENTMENT
 CAN ONLY COME FROM THE SHEPHERD.


4 comments:

Lori said...

This is SO interesting and thought provoking! I know we are just showing the videos right now, but I can't wait to do the whole Bible study with the study guide and videos sometime maybe in 2020! Thanks for sharing more about it. I have heard really good things from people who have done the study. Your description of this lesson is very intriguing and I want to know more about the green pastures concept!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

It is good. I also have the feeling that I would like to do the study book along with it, too.

Lori said...

Since we have the speaker series this fall, the next time this study would fit on Wednesday night would be next spring or summer. I will put a note in the file to consider for a spring 2020 option.

Lori said...

We have done this study twice on Wed. morning, but it could also be a good weeknight study, which I have recently been asked about. Need to consider that as well.