Tuesday, June 14, 2016

LETTING KIDS DESIGN AND NEW PAINT...

I love before and afters!  Even if it's just paint and accessories.  My son recently decided to update his room by painting - when he was 13 years old and got his room redo, he chose some crazy stuff.  Black and red - and I let him!  I figured with the windows and the corrugated metal wall, it wouldn't be too dark in there.

11 years later...He wants the exact opposite - light grey!  He wanted a cleaner, calmer look.  He has his own business, so he is working in here some of the time.  My teenager has grown up (I think!).  Good thing is, I didn't have to do the work!

 Before: High gloss black paint
After: Matte grey paint (excuse the twin bed frame behind the door)


Another angle - you can see his red accent wall

Window wall with red and black paint

Now a calm grey


The corrugated metal wall and canvas stayed.  I still like it!


Not sure what will happen with the sticker door.  My philosophy when we moved into this house 16 years ago was that it was an older, out of style house, and with the kid's rooms upstairs, most people wouldn't see them (YES!).  I gave my kids some freedom to make their room reflect their personality.  I let my daughter and a friend paint one of the bathrooms one summer.  It's still lime green.  They painted the other bathroom a crazy mural and it stayed for a while.  The sticker door was fine with me since it was a plain, hollow door.  Nothing fancy.  But now it's a compilation of places he's been and funny stickers we've collected.  Kinda glad we gave the kids this freedom.  The kids are all creative in differing ways.  Not afraid to try new things.  This momma's sad to see the crazy stuff go away, but happy to see them maturing and doing well.  :)



1 comment: