Wednesday, April 17, 2013

LIFE IS LIKE A MUSICAL...

One of my favorite shots from backstage

It probably comes as no surprise to you that I'm still writing about the musical and thinking about it  (maybe I'm just a show junkie).  I love being there at the school, coordinating meals, interacting with the kids and directors, meeting new parents, and seeing what luscious desserts parents bring to add to the meals (getting new recipes).  It's also a week of no cooking at home for me and my family accepts that - although many nights there's a few leftovers for them :)  But the whole atmosphere is one of energy and excitement; singing, crazy, costumed kids!  You know what?  It's a little like being at summer camp.  For the cast, who has been practicing 6 weeks or more, it's like a long summer camp.  It's a family.  I get to enjoy seeing that, accepted by the kids since I take care of their growling stomachs.

Being in a musical is really like family and like life!  A group of people, with different qualities - some good, some not-so-good.  Everyone has a job to do to put on a successful show.  Everyone has a common goal.  Sometimes tempers flare about how to do it best.  There's always some drama -  a series of ups and downs!  But most of the time everyone is learning, taking direction, all wanting the same thing:  a grand performance, one that receives the applause of the observers, and of course, the director.

Thankfully our place in eternity is not determined by a successful performance!  Many times we try (and fail) and get discouraged trying to do life correctly without help from our director, God.  Our God is one who is just, and demands righteousness through faith in his Son, but freely gives us the gift of salvation no matter how our life performance has been.  I want to be in God's show, God's musical!  I want to do my part, whatever part that I'm gifted to play.  Maybe I'm building the set.  Or running lights.  Maybe I'm passing out programs.  I could be in the ensemble, singing!  Or a primary character. Whatever it is, I want to contribute in such a way that He applauds.  I want to know Him so well that I capture the spirit of his creative production with every movement and line that comes from my mouth.


“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:2

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts!

Amy said...

Thank you for your words. You are a gifted crafter of words. Love the picture of those two. They are both so incredibly good looking!