Saturday, July 16, 2011

ANOTHER FOOD POST...


because my life is a little slow right now. I've been spending a lot of time reading, shelling pecans, doing needlepoint, and scrapbooking. When I get bored with one I go to the other. But it's nice. Like I told a friend recently, BORING IS GOOD. It means there are no current crisis in your life. Just life rolling along.

So I got a hankering for some crab cakes the other night. Do you know I had never made crab cakes? I usually like them at restaurants but just had never made them. They are kind of expensive, if you buy real crab meat, I found out! Here's the recipes I used:

PAULA DEEN'S EASY CRABCAKES (tweaked a little)

12-16 oz. lump crab meat (no shells)
1/3. c. crushed Ritz crackers
3 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 c. celery, finely chopped ( or bell pepper)
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 egg
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. lemon juice
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
dash pepper

Panko crumbs
1/2 c. oil

Mix all together except Panko and oil. Shape into 8-10 patties and roll in Panko. Chill at least 30 minutes in refrigerator, to help them hold together in skillet. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Fry on each side 4-5 minutes, only turning once. Serve with your favorite sauce and Marinated tomatoes and corn.

MARINATED TOMATOES AND CORN (tweaked from Red Door Design newsletter)

2 c. frozen corn, thawed
2-3 c. any kind of tomatoes, cut into small pieces
1/2-1 T. Old Bay seasoning, as you like it
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. fresh basil leaves
salt & pepper to taste

Toss all together in bowl, and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. (The original recipe called for fresh corn, roasted in the oven, then cut off the ears. That would really be fresh tasting, but I didn't have the time or patience to do that!)

My DH declared this one a keeper! SUCCESS!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I love crab cakes but never thought to make them. Good for you. Even with buying the crab, I'm sure it's still cheaper to make them than get them out. But a new casual seafood "find" called The Shack Seafood and Oyster Bar on NW 62nd Street has really good crab cakes and other Cajun seafood. On their seafood platter (big enough to share at lunch) I get the crabcake and stuffed shrimp grilled, the catfish blackened, and the shrimp and oysters fried. Sub out the frog leg for another stuffed shrimp and you are good to go! Their tartar sauce is really good too. Yum!

Donna said...

I can't wait to try the corn/tomato recipe. I'd have to substitute salmon for the crab--salmon and tuna are the only fish I eat. I enjoy your blog---I don't think I've ever told you that I read it all the time.

Lori said...

By the way, what are Panko crumbs?