Monday, June 1, 2020

COMBATING FEAR...


FEAR is something I would have said a month ago was not a problem for me.

Funny how things can change so quickly.

Recent events in our  home life, my friend's lives, and our world have brought back FEAR:  FEAR of lightning, FEAR of my husband dying, FEAR of accidents, FEAR of illness.  In fact, the storms we've had recently have had me on edge.  I talked to a friend about it whose house was struck by lightning years ago told me she cried every time there was a storm for a long time.  I tell myself these fears are irrational; lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place (myth).  Everyone in this world will face death themselves or of someone dear to them.  But when it's a friend close to your age it reminds you again how close it is to you also.  It's going to happen and even Christians admit they'd like to stay with their loved ones a bit longer than they might be given.  Accidents happen and we can only do so much to prevent them.  Life is just filled with opportunities for FEAR.

I started a feature for our women's ministry on social media early this year called #myfavoriteverse.  Different women, different ages and experiences tell me about their favorite verse; what it is and why it's meaningful, and I post one weekly.  Just the other day I received one from a schoolteacher friend.  she said her favorite verse was too long, but she said she had another one:



Her comment about this verse was that whenever she was feeling anxious, she would repeat this verse over and over again, out loud.  She is claiming her God-given spirit of power over FEAR as a Christ follower and baptized believer.

I loved this and needed this!  Meditating on the word, which is something I've been working harder at the last couple of years, might mean saying it OUT LOUD.  Combating FEAR with scripture is the way to go.  Jesus did it in the desert when confronted by Satan several times.  You never know when you might be caught off guard I guess and your security will be shaken up.  We must have security in the right things to be able to stand.






1 comment:

Mark Brewer said...

Yes, not fear but power. Thanks for reminding us. May peace be upon you.

Mark